Tuesday, March 14, 2006

View From the Yellow Chair: Rediscovered Treasure

Two years before I first heard the words, ”emergent church” or understood that I am thoroughly postmodern, I attended a lecture on the history of Christian Education. I listened attentively and came up with a statement to ponder. I showed the lecturer the statement and she nodded, concurring with some of the ideas, but I don’t believe she had a context to place it in. I certainly didn’t either, until now, at The Portico. I recently re-discovered the scribbled document, tweaked it, and append it here for your rumination and percolation.

WHAT IF

we gain a portfolio of spiritual resources
so that we are content

without insisting on answers now
or trying to be like the church down the street
or choosing stagnation

and enter a season when we wait
and practice discernment
in order to hear God’s voice
above our own voices, then

beginning with the gifts already among us
and the needs for mercy and justice already visible around us,

make a covenant of willingness to together
experience some discomfort
as we enact our community’s understanding of the revealed purpose of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home